Best Automotive Trickle Charger
By Samiul Alan - January 25, 2022
Cars are a very essential part of our life. At present, there are various types of cars available in the market. Some of them run using petrol and diesel, some are electric cars.
Nowadays, electric cars are more popular than petrol and diesel-run cars. Electric cars require fewer expenses and less maintenance than other cars. Electric cars are also faster than gas and petrol cars and they are eco-friendly as well. Electric cars require batteries to run. And the best way to quickly charge the batteries is by a trickle charger.
Today, we will talk about the best automotive trickle charger.
Trickle charging means charging an already charged battery at a rate equal to its self-discharge rate. This enables your car's battery to remain at its fully charged level. A trickle charger provides an even more sustainable charge than a quick jump start.
If you want an alternative power source for your car battery, then a trickle charger is a smart investment for you. The main reason for using a trickle charger is to charge your car battery in emergency situations. You don't want to see your battery dead at the time you need it.
That's the time when the trickle charger comes in handy. Attach it to your car battery when it's parked, and your car has a steady stream of power. Now let's talk about some of the best trickle chargers available in the market.
1 Battery Tender Junior 12V Charger and Maintainer
It is easy and quick to use.
Amazon Rating: 4.8
Battery Tender Junior 12V Charger is currently one of the best trickle chargers in the market. It's manufactured by Deltran. Deltran is a manufacturer and distributor of batteries. They are popular for automotive batteries and trickle chargers.
The company was founded in 1965. Battery Tender is a model line of the Deltran brand. Battery Tender's Microprocessor Technology and quick-connect convenience maintain all the batteries in your vehicle. They are ready to go when you are. Battery Tender's products are budget-friendly. They also provide a 5 years warranty as well.
- Provides a full charge to the batteries. Keep the battery voltage safe and stable. Long-term storage without overcharging. Reverse polarity protection.
- Designed to be easy and quick to use. Compact and lightweight. Suitable for charging all types of 12-volt batteries. Also, have a safety timer of 80 hours.
- It has a state 2 color LED light indicating the state of charge. If the battery voltage drops, ISM adaptive charging will resume full charger output power.
- Battery Tenders all 12v battery chargers are spark-proof. It automatically detects reverse polarity.
- Manufacturer: Deltran
- Brand: Battery Tender
- Product Dimensions: 8×4×9 inches
- Item Weight: 1.8 pounds
- Item model number: 021-0123
- Voltage: 12V
- Amperage: 0.75
1. Can this charger be used to charge an AGM Battery?
Ans: Yes it can. And it will also give you a good result.
2. How fast does it work?
Ans: If your car's battery is low then it might take up to 3 or 4 days.
3. Why is it not recommended to keep a trickle charger hooked up all the time?
Ans: A trickle charger connected with a battery can overcharge a battery. Which can damage it. That's why we don't recommend hooking up the trickle charger all the time.
2 NOCO GENIUS1
Made to last long!
Amazon Rating: 4.6
NOCO GENIUS1 is a premium trickle battery charger. It's manufactured by NOCO Company. NOCO designs and creates consumer batteries. The Company was founded in 1914. Since their beginning, they have been creating standard quality batteries. At present they are pretty much popular worldwide.
The NOCO GENIUS1 is one of the most powerful, energy-efficient, high-performance, and compact chargers. The GENIUS1 is both a 6-volt and a 12-volt battery charger. So, you can use it to charge both types of batteries.
NOCO GENIUS1 is a unique type of trickle charger. It is highly effective and it offers long-term durability. There are only a few trickle chargers in the market which charge both 6-volt and a 12-volt batteries. Among them, NOCO GENIUS1 is possibly the best.
- The GENIUS1 is designed for both 6-volt and 12-volt lead-acid batteries.
- It's 35% smaller and powerful than our other trickle chargers
- It can charge dead batteries. The GENIUS1 trickle charger charges batteries as low as 1 volt. It also has a new feature called "force mode'. It allows you to manually begin charging dead batteries.
- It has an integrated thermal sensor. It alters the charge to eliminate over-charging
- It's an advanced and premium battery maintainer. It can be used every day 24/7 with no risk of overcharging.
- Restore lost battery performance and ensure long battery life.
- Suitable for all types of vehicles. It can be used to charge cars, trucks, boats, SUVs, tractors, ATVs, and more.
- Manufacturer: NOCO
- Brand: NOCO
- Item weight: 15.2
- Item model number: GENIUS1
- Product Dimensions: 3.43×4.02×6.73 inches
- Exterior: Machined
1. Should I use a NOCO Battery Charger with an extra power strip?
Ans: Yes you can. The current requirement for the charger is modest. So, I should work fine while plugged into an extra strip.
2. Will this charger jump-start a car that is parked in a garage while plugged into an electric outlet?
Ans: No I won't jump-start the car. But if you leave it plugged in long enough, it will charge your car's battery.
3. Can this charger be used with the battery still installed in the vehicle as a battery maintainer? Ans: Yes it can. All of NOCO's chargers can be used with the battery still installed. It won't damage your battery.
3 Foval Automatic Trickle Battery Charger 12V
Can be used for all types of 12-volt batteries.
Amazon Rating: 4.6
Foval automotive trickle battery charger is a well-known trickle charger. It can charge any type of 12-volt battery. It's manufactured by Foval. Foval is an electrical product manufacturer company. They manufacture electrical products like batteries, mobile parts, trickle chargers, etc.
The Fovel Automotive Trickle Charger 12V has a unique 4-step charging program. Those are Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, and Float Mode. Smart circuits ensure multi-level protection from overcharge and overvoltage. Which gives your battery long-lasting durability.
You can use this charger for all types of 12-volt batteries. Not just cars but also scooters, boats, bikes, jetski, camper, tractors, ATVs, airplanes, and backup generators systems. This charge always checks for a correct and perfect connection before giving power.
The Fovel Automotive Trickle Charger is spark-proof, dustproof. You can connect and disconnect the charger very easily. After getting connected, the charger will protect your battery from overcharging on its own.
- Reverse polarity protection, spark-proof. And comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Suitable for all lead-acid, sealed, or flooded batteries. Have a complete 4-step charging program.
- Small in size. So, almost every automotive vehicle can use it.
- Diagnostic information and the visual state of charge provided by Intuitive LED indicator
- It's lightweight and fully automatic. Always keep your car ready to go.
- Manufacturer: FOVAL
- Brand: FOVAL
- Model: BC01B-1
- Item Dimensions: 3.9×2.4×1.2 inches
- Item weight: 10.6 ounces
- Folding: No
- Voltage: 12 Volts
- Amperage: 1 Amp
1. Can foval automatic trickle battery charger be used to jump-start a car?
Ans: No, it will help you to jump-start a car. But if you charge the battery, and let the battery start the car. Then it will have done its job.
2. Can foval automatic trickle battery charger be used on a 6-volt battery?
Ans: No, it can only charge 12-volt batteries.
3. Car will be sitting idle for three months. Will foval automatic trickle battery charger be safe to use all that time and will it keep my car's battery charged?
Ans: It should. As long as it's connected with an outlet, it will maintain the charge. So, there is no problem.
4 BLACK+DECKER Automatic Battery Charger/Maintainer
A fully automatic charger.
Amazon Rating: 4.5
This is also one of the best trickle chargers in the world. It works on both 6-volt batteries and 12-volt batteries. It's manufactured by Black And Decker. Black & Decker is an American manufacturing company. It manufactures hardware, home appliances, and powerful tools.
The headquarters of Black & Decker is in Towson, Maryland. It was founded in 1910. This charger is ideal for battery maintenance, specialty vehicles, classic cars, tractor, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, and more. There are 2 LED indicators on the charger to show charge status.
- Easy and fast connection with the vehicle's battery.
- Chargeable and maintains all 12-volt and 6-volt AGM, WET, and GEL batteries.
- Built-in circuit protects from overcharging, short circuit, and reverse polarity.
- This Charger is fully automatic. It stops charging automatically when the battery is fully charged, switching to float mode or topped off.
- Low voltage ensures maximum performance while used with an extension cord.
- Safe and easy to use.
- Manufacturer: Black & Decker
- Model: BM3B
- Product Dimensions: 5×3×8.9 inches
- Item weight: 1.25 pounds
- Exterior: Polished
- Folding: No
1. How fast does it change?
Ans: If it's a 1.5 Amp charger and you are trying to charge a 6-volt battery, then it will take almost 5 hours till full charge. And if it's a 12-volt battery, then it will take 11 hours to fully charge the battery.
2. Can I connect this Charger to a battery in the car for up to 6 months while I'm out of town?
Ans: This is an automatic Charger. So, it will trickle charge once the battery is fully charged. Yes, you can leave it connected for up to 6 months. There should not be any problem.
3. Is it ok to start the motor while connected to the charger or should I disconnect it first?
Ans: Yes it's ok to start the motor while connected to the charger. I will not damage your battery. But just to be sure, we suggest you disconnect the charger first.
5 MOTOPOWER MP00205A 12V 800mA Automatic Battery Charger
Easy on your budget and great customer service.
Amazon Rating: 4.5
MP00205A is a powerful and budget-friendly trickle charger. It's one of the best trickle chargers that the market can offer. It is manufactured by MOTOPOWER. It is a manufacturing company that mainly manufactures battery chargers, battery testers, cables, cell phone chargers, and more.
MOTO POWER is also known for its satisfying customer service. The company provides 24/7 customer service and a helpline. They take their customers very seriously and try to solve their problems as soon as possible. The MP00205A has five charging stages. They are Diagnosis, Bulk Charge, Soft Start, Absorption, and Float.
In absorption mode, the charger will provide a 0.5Amp pulse current to charge the battery until it's fully charged. The input voltage of the charger is 100-240 AC and the output voltage is 12 Volts. The maintenance voltage is 13.6+/-0.2
volts. And the active voltage is 4 Volts.
- It's not just a trickle charger. It's a battery maintainer, battery charger, and battery desulfator.
- Suitable for charging all 12-volt lead-acid, sealed, and flooded batteries.
- After being fully charged, pulse current technology desulfator the batteries. Optimize battery performance automatically.
- No battery drain while connected with the charger. Spark proof and dustproof.
- Easy to operate. Just plug in with your car's battery and start charging or maintaining. No manual work needed.
- Manufacturer: MOTOPOWER
- Model: MP00205A
- Product Dimensions: 4.1×2×1.5 inches
- Item Weight: 11.7 ounces
- Folding: No
- Voltage: 12 Volts
- Amperage: 0.8 Amps
1. Will trickle charger consume energy if left hooked up to the battery? Do any led lights stay on when unplugged from 12V but still hooked to the battery?
Ans: No, no lights should be on when the charger is not plugged into power even while connectors are still connected to the battery.
2. If I install trickle charger on my generator, will the vibration bother the circuit?
Ans: I don't think so. All the circuits are protected from extreme vibrations. So, I should not be a problem.
3. How long does trickle charger takes to charge a dead four-wheeler battery?
Ans: If the battery volt is zero, it won't charge the battery. But if it's as low as 5 volts, then it can be charged overnight.
All of the above are the best trickle chargers the market can offer. Now let's talk about the easiest and safest way to connect a trickle charger to a battery.
Step 1: Position Your Car
Your car can not be moved 9nce you connect your car battery and trickle charger components together. So, you need to keep it in a garage. During the trickle process, some fumes might emanate from the system. No need to worry, it's completely normal.
Step 2: Set the Power Specifications
A car's battery is standard when it comes to specifications. It's always good to verify the amperage and voltage of the battery before any connections are made with the charger. You can use the buttons on the trickle charger to set it to the exact same numbers of voltage found on the car battery.
Set the values to the middle of the range which is found on the battery. Any kind of fluctuations can still be within a safe area. Overcharging the battery can cause many problems. Overcharging leads a battery to damage. Sometimes, it causes fire because of chemical reactions.
Step 3: Ground the Charger
If you know how to test a car battery, then you can easily understand the importance of ground. The negative side of the circle provides a gateway for an electrical surge if there is one. It's a safety mechanism for the battery.
You must ground the trickle charger before hooking it up with the battery. A grounding clip is usually included with the power source. You need to attach it to a clean section of the car's frame.
You need to keep an eye on the undercarriage in this case. You can use an opposite ground if you like. It will reduce the change of electrical issues during the trickle process.
Step 4: Clip the Connectors on the Battery
To do this step, you need to locate the red and black clips hanging from the battery. Hold the red clip, attach the red clip to the positive terminal of the battery. Make sure the clip has attached perfectly to the terminal.
Now connect the black clip to the negative terminal of the battery. Don't touch any part of the wire after connecting the charger and battery. The power which will go through the wire will ensure a long life for your car's battery.
Step 5: Plug into Power
If you have followed the above instructions properly, then the system is stable enough to plug into power. Keep the charger to the off mode for now. First, connect the trickle charger's power cable into an outlet.
Make sure every connection is arranged perfectly. After that, turn on the trickle charge. Your selected voltage should light up.
Step 6: Watch the Setup
Keep an eye on both the charger and the battery. The trickle charger should act as its description says. A small amount of power will flow to the battery. It will take quite a while.
In the first week, keep an eye on the process. If everything looks okay then check once a month. Your car will have full charge whenever you're ready to ride the car.
If you want our suggestion on which is the best trickle charger for cars. Then we will suggest Battery Tender Junior 12V Charger and Maintainer. It's the best for all types of batteries. It's also budget-friendly. So, almost everyone can afford it. Battery Tender's customer service is also very satisfying. Customer satisfaction is their top priority.
If you want to charge your car battery for long-lasting durability, then a trickle charger is what you need. Trickle Charger is powerful and safer than other chargers. Electric cars are faster than other petrol used cars. They are also environmentally friendly.
That's all we needed to tell you. Thanks for reading the article. If you read it properly then you already know which is the Best Automotive Trickle Charger. Now, it's your choice which one you will buy.